Wednesday, November 2, 2011

What's in a name?

I had spent some time deliberating with myself on whether I would have a pen name or not. After reading a few blogs that encouraged it, I made up my mind to create one. TBH, while the idea of seeing my actual name in print was tantalizing, a few concrete reasons sealed the deal.

1. I wanted to make sure that if I ever got published and my book showed up at Barnes & Noble, it would be at eye-level. That meant my last name needed to start with an A, B or C. Since my daughter sometimes went by Belle, I decided on Belltower. Really, no other reason than that.

2. I wanted to make sure that I was able to get a .com domain to help promote the book. As a web developer, I always believed that the .net domain was the little, red-headed step child of the domain world. Since I was able to secure both www.davidbelltower.com and www.welcometotheshade.com, I was a happy camper.

Is this something that all authors should do? I have no clue. It just felt right to me and I wanted to make sure that I was doing everything I could to be successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment