Thursday, November 24, 2011

Early Editing

After I had written my first five chapters, I decided to hire an editor. I know, that sounds crazy. You see, as a new author, I wanted to find out early if what I thought was good writing was actually good. So I hired my friend Chris Brasted. Chris had worked at a newspaper and has good discernment in general. I think I paid him $100 per 10,000 words and I am definitely glad I did it. Basically I sent him new chapters as I finished them and he edited them (tracking changes in Word).

Here's what I found - pros and cons. Having him on board early helped me a ton as he pointed out both common sentence mistakes and bad patterns I was falling into. I also had a habit of writing a little 'cute' so he nixed those quickly. Chris also gave me a ton of feedback on the plot and where he thought there were holes (I also loved when he got angry that I killed off a character) Ultimately, his greatest contribution was...

Oh hey. Friends just showed up for Thanksgiving dinner. I'll finish this later :)

No comments:

Post a Comment